»

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Inspiration

I have to admit I’ve been fairly uninspired lately. It’s partly because I’ve been traveling up to two weeks a month for work. Weekends are about relaxing and laundry and catching up on household chores. On one of my trips I bought a green ceramic pendant and brought it home. Every so often I’d pick it up and try to picture it in a finished piece. Nothing. Nothing good, anyway. (I wish I had a photo to insert here, but I’m writing this on the road!).

present

Finally, inspiration came in the form of a 40th birthday party invitation. This friend had purchased several pieces from me in the past so I knew her taste and wanted to create a necklace just for her. This woman has a natural style so I used a dark brown suede cord as stringing material. I accented the pendant with antiqued silver beads, dark brown glass beads, and some knots to hold it in place. I have to say I liked the result! I left the length unfinished so she could choose how long she wanted it. The reward? She absolutely loves it! And she doesn’t want me to finish the length – she likes being able to knot it at any length she wants.

Inspiration followed by the instant gratification of seeing the piece in the hands of a happy friend if hard to beat! It makes me wonder if I should only do custom pieces from now on. I like the creative challenge of matching the piece with the person, and I certainly like delivering it directly into the hands of a grateful recipient.

3 comments:

glitterbygrammie said...

I also make jewelry. It is very gratifying to see finished products worn or really appreciated. I will take a piece, look at it, if I don't get an instant picture in my head of how it will look I put it away for another day.Then ususally bam one day it just pops into my ehad and I can make it up. Looks great and everyone is happy.

leah - moxiethrift on etsy said...

isn't it lovely the way inspiration finds you? i try to listen a bit more and not force inspiration....it comes when it's right, not a minute before.

Anonymous said...

ugg boots
cheap ugg boots
cheap uggs
wholesale ugg boots
wholesale uggs
ugg boot
ugg shoes
uggs wholesale
Nike Men Dunk
Air Dunk
nike sb
Nike Dunk
Nike Dunk shoes
Dunk shoes
jerseys
cheap jerseys
Wholesale jerseys
soccer jerseys
nba jerseys
mlb jerseys
soccer jersey
Nba Jerseys
Mlb Jerseys
Ecuador jersey
Egypt jersey
El Salvador jersey
England jersey
Finland jersey
France jersey
Germany jersey
Bailey Button UGG Boots
Bailey Button UGG
Classic Cardy Ugg Boots
Ugg Classic Cardy
Classic Mini Ugg Boots
Classic Mini sheepskin boot
Classic Short Ugg Boots